A Brief History of the Church of God

Church of God History It was 1886, in a crude meeting house on the Tennessee-North Carolina border, where the Church of God traces its roots. There, a group of eight sincere Christians had a deep desire for a closer relationship and life with Christ. Realizing the futility of reforming their own churches, they established a new church whose objective would be to restore sound scriptural doctrines of the Bible, encourage deeper consecration and promote evangelism and Christian service. Twenty-one years after the formation of the Christian Union that evening at the Barney Creek Meeting House, the growing movement would establish themselves permanently as the Church of God.

From this seemingly insignificant origin has grown one of the most influential worldwide Pentecostal denominations. For nearly 120 years the Church of God has been a distinctive movement focused upon communicating the gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit. Presently, the Church of God has a world-wide membership of over 6 million with a presence in nearly 150 countries. Leaders of the Church of God are recognized as some of the most respected Pentecostal leaders of today.

Church of God History The call of the Church of God today beckons back to those early days at Barney Creek. Church of God congregations around the globe are experiencing the fire of the Holy Spirit today more than ever. Reports of revivals where hundreds are saved and filled with the Holy Spirit are frequent and on-going. The call of the Church of God is for world evangelization. It is a call to discipleship and prayer. It is a call of commitment. It is a call for the Church of God to be a channel for Pentecostal revival well into the new millennium.

For further information on the history of the Church God, recommended reading is the book Like A Mighty Army, by Dr. Charles W. Conn, available through Pathway Press. Visit their web site at www.pathwaypress.org or view our Resource Center.

From Then, To Now;

Look What the Lord Has Done!

Church of God International Headquarters From its roots in the 1800's to today, God has grown the Church of God International Headquarters, now located on 40 acres at the corner of Keith and 25th Streets in Cleveland, Tennessee. The campus consists of seven structures, dominated by the four story World Evangelization Center. The Church Ministries Center and the Leadership and Communications Center - both two story, 30,000 square foot buildings - are the newest additions, opening in 2004. Four other one level structures house departments of the international offices. A prayer plaza/garden ties the three primary structures together with walkways, statues, markers and beautiful landscaping.

Tour the Campus Online